Tell me what is more comforting than a tall cold glass of bovine or nut milk of your choice and a cookie. I'll wait. Maybe two cookies? Fair point. Today I made some cookies for a gluten free friend of mine who doesn't bake much anymore because of how finicky this style of baking is. Sugar cookies are a win. Sugar cookies dipped in a dark chocolate glaze are a triumph. Soft and chewy with the satisfying crunch that outer shell of sugar gives, I definitely have not been giving these the real estate they deserve in my kitchen. I won't be making that mistake again, according to my friend.
C and I took an incredible trip to Italy last year, making our way through much of beautiful Tuscany. We were stunned by the rich history and the art but also, of course, the food! Rome left an indelible mark in our hearts' memory with what is arguably the king (or cween) of all pastas: pasta carbonara. The dichotomy of the dish lies in its simple ingredients (pasta, cheese, bacon and black pepper, if you're a rebel) plus the crucial combination of timing and chemistry to avoid an unappealing egg scramble and divine a sauce so silky and smooth you could cry. After much research, my first attempt was a success. I have since repeated it 3 times just to be sure it wasn't a fluke. Because, you know... science. Before ...

Wow. Those look delicious. And props for the staging... Bon Appetit cover quality.
ReplyDeleteDanke!
DeleteTotally agree Brian, perfection!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Delete